The maximum number of children we are allowed to admit in each year group is set at 60. It is the policy of the Local Authority to give young children an entitlement of one year in the Early Years Foundation class and two years in Key Stage 1. Children are formally admitted at the beginning of the school year in which they reach their fifth birthday. There is no statutory duty to admit children into school until the term after their fifth birthday and there are rare occasions when we have requested that a child should remain part-time for longer than the initial induction period. This may be as a result of health or maturity concerns. All children begin school on a part-time basis and mostly all children will be given the opportunity to start school full time by Term 2.
We have a number of children who join us throughout the primary stage as a result of house moves, or because they have changed schools. Children can find changing school difficult so we have a system of buddies. This helps children to feel a real and valued part of our school community very quickly.
At the age of 11, most pupils transfer to Mangotsfield or King’s Oak Academy.
- To introduce new entrants to the teacher and Learning Support Staff
- To provide a happy, relaxed yet disciplined environment for pupils to begin their school life
- To enable children to be independent, self-confident and eager to learn and enjoy taking part in all activities
- To develop good parental relationships and to seek the co-operation of parents.
- To integrate pupils into Key Stages 1 & 2 and for children to become familiar with all members of staff.
Please note that all decisions about admissions are made by the Local Authority and not by the school.