SEN and Inclusion

Kings Forest School is an inclusive school and offers a range of provision to support children and young people with SEND. Kings Forest School aim to provide a broad, engaging and stimulating education for all our children that brings together a strong focus on learning skills mixed with knowledge through a curriculum that reflects our school and children. We believe that all children, including those identified with special educational needs, have an entitlement to access a broad, balanced curriculum and that all children are fully included in all aspects of school life.

How we identify individual Special Educational Learning Needs?

  • When children enter Kings Forest School with identified SEND, we will work with the parents and professionals already involved and use the information to identify their SEN within school and how to manage it.
  • If you feel that your child may have SEN, we will invite you in to discuss this with your child’s teacher and the SENCO. We will look at the information available to us and we will share what we discover with you and agree with you what we will do next and also what you can do to help your child.
  • If our staff believe your child has a SEN this may be because they are not making the same progress as their peers; for example they may not be able to follow instructions or answer age appropriate questions. We will observe them, assess their understanding of what we are doing in school and use further tests to find out what is causing the difficulty. Should we require further help we will contact the relevant SEND team through the Local Authority.

How we involve children and the parent/carers in identifying SEN and planning to meet them?

  • We believe in pupil and parent voice, so both you and your child will be involved in all decision making about your child and any support that they receive.
  • When we asses SEND we discuss it with you to determine whether your child’s understanding and behaviour are the same at home and school; we take into account and work with you so that we are helping your child in the same way to make progress.
  • We will write a review an individual plan (IEP) for every SEND child. This plan will give small targets and monitor the progress your child is making. We will use change track to help with this. These will be reviewed at least 3 times a year by your child’s class teacher and SENCO and we will discuss with you the next steps of support for your child.

How do we adapt the curriculum so that we meet SEND?

  • All our staff are trained to make lessons easier or more challenging so that every child is able to learn at their own pace and in their own way. We will make or provide any additional resources required.
  • We use interventions or additional materials so that the child’s needs are met and every child is making good progress.
  • Our interventions include: phonics, time to talk, socially speaking, self esteem, maths support, fresh start phonics, pupil mentoring, anger management, language steps, 1:1 reading. Where there is a specific need, we endeavour to match a suitable programme of intervention to meet it.

How do we modify teaching approaches?

  • All our staff are trained so that we are able to adapt to arrange of SEND – specific learning difficulties including dyslexia; autistic spectrum condition (ASC); speech, language and communication needs; emotional and social difficulties.
  • We use a range of strategies to support dyslexic learners within our school, these include: visual timetables, coloured backgrounds, reading rulers.
  • When we are teaching we use a range of different approaches to appeal to different styles of learning – visual, auditory and kinaesthetic.
  • Teaching assistants have a range of different training tailored to their needs to meet the needs of the children they are working with such as Makaton training, attachment, speech and language and The Sensory World of Autism.

How do we assess pupil progress towards outcomes we have targeted for children and review it to ensure children make good progress?

  • We check how well a child understands and makes progress in every lesson through ongoing assessments and evaluations.
  • If a child is working below the level of the national curriculum, we use P levels to assess the small steps of progress made.
  • Phase leaders monitor the progress of all children and have termly meetings with the teachers to identify barriers to learning and how to move their learning forward.
  • Regular marking and assessment for learning feedbacks daily to the children and identifies their next steps.
  • Children with a statement / education, health and care plan will have an annual review which is reported to the local authority.

What equipment or resources do we use to give extra support?

  • We use visual timetables, countdown timers, learning mats, phonic and word mats, numicon, dienes apparatus, place value counters and other specific resources to support those children who need it.
  • We have various ICT programs and applications to support children’s learning.
  • Any specific physical needs will be assessed individually, in partnership with an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, and equipment will be provided to meet those needs.

What extra support do we bring in to help us meet SEND? (specialist services, external expertise)

  • We get support from the local authority services such as SEND specialists, Educational Psychologists, Speech Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Inclusion Support Officers, CAHMS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Physotherapists, Hearing/Visual Impairments specialists.
  • We employ a private speech and language therapist to screen children and work with individuals.

What extra-curricular activities are available for children with SEND?

  • We have a wide variety of after school activities which are open to all children. Should any child need support to access these activities, school will make the necessary arrangements.
  • We have a breakfast club and after school club that is run by members of staff, which is open, by arrangement and application, to all children.
  • We have regular educational visits as well as people coming into school to support different topic areas. All children, as well as those with SEND, are always included in these. We provide any support needed for full inclusion. We choose visits that are accessible to all.

How do we support children in their transition into our school and when they leave us?

  • Children entering Kings Forest school in our reception classes, have the opportunity for a home visit from their class teacher and teaching assistant in September. We receive information from pre-schools to assist with transition.
  • Information will be gathered regarding any SEND and any necessary support will be put in place upon entry. Additional visits are encouraged for any child who may find transition difficult.
  • Meetings will be arranged for those children already known to Early Years SEND services to make school aware of their needs to ensure correct support is in place.
  • If your chid is moving to another school, we will contact the new school SENCO and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that your child may need. We will pass on all records about your child to their new school as soon as possible.
  • When children move on to secondary school we will speak directly to the SENCO for their new school to ensure continuity of support. We will support your child by focussing learning on the transition and the understanding of changes happening. Where possible we will arrange an assisted transfer which can involve extra visits to become familiar with the buildings and staff.
  • When children find transitions between year groups difficult, we will arrange for extra time with their new teacher We will create a photo book from pictures of their new class room and teachers in order to prepare the child for the changes.

What support is available for my child’s well-being?

  • We are happy to administer medicines that are required during the school day as long as a medication form is completed and given to the school office. Medicine should be brought in to school daily and collected again from the school office. This is in line with our Managing Medical Needs policy.
  • We are happy to provide personal care and access to this will be discussed with parents as it is required.
  • All children, as well as those with SEND, will have the opportunity to take part in social and emotional wellbeing groups, including Time to Talk, Socially Speaking and Self Esteem groups if identified as needed by the class teacher.
  • We have a family support worker. She is available to listen to any concerns or issues that may impact on your child’s learning or happiness in school. Her role is to provide help and support in any way that she can including sign-posting to outside services or having time to listen to your concerns.

How does the additional funding work?

  • Schools receive funding for all children including those with special educational needs and disabilities and these needs are met from this (including equipment). The school assesses a child’s needs in partnership with specialists to decide what support and equipment might be needed. The local authority may contribute funding if the cost of meeting an individual child’s needs is more than £10,000 a year.
  • If the assessment of a child’s needs identifies something that is significantly different to what is usually available, there will be an additional funding allocated. Parents will have a say in how it is used, in partnership with schools and specialists. You will be told if this means you are eligible for a personal budget. This must be used to fund the agreed plan.

Where can parents/carers get extra support?

  • Your views are important to us. We want to listen to them and know that you are satisfied with what happens in school to support your child.
  • In school Mrs Hammond is our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO). She will follow up any concerns you may have and your views will be taken into account. The school also has a family support worker, Wendy Miles.
  • There are a number of parent support groups who are on hand to help. South Glos Parent/Carers group ‘Our Voice Matters’ are a good point of contact for advice and support Tel: 0145 501009

What to do if you are not satisfied with a decision or what is happening (for parents)?

  • Your first point of contact is the class teacher or SENCO. Explain your concerns to them first. If you are not satisfied that your concern has been addressed, speak to the head teacher, following that ask for the school Governors representative.
  • If you do not feel the issues have been resolved, we will arrange a meeting with the Chair of Governor’s who can be contacted via the school office.
  • You can request a copy of the school concerns and complaints policy for full details of the process and information about the Local Authority procedures.

The Parent Partnership Service provides independent, individual information and advice for parents of children with special educational needs. Visit